This module will explain pulmonary embolism. It will include the clinical presentation, etiology, pathophysiology, diagnostics, nursing and medical management, and patient education of pulmonary embolus.
After successfully completing this module the Emergency Care Nurse should be able to:
- Define pulmonary embolism.
- Learn the etiology, risk factors, and pathophysiology of PE.
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of PE
- Diagnostic tools for determining PE
- Medical and Nursing management of PE
Urden, L.D., Stacy, K.M., & Lough, M.E. (2010). Thelans' Critical Care Nursing: Diagnosis and Management. (6th ed). Boston: Mosby.