EMERGENCY CARE OF ECTOPIC PREGNANCIES
This module discusses the complications and nursing interventions for treating the patient with ectopic pregnancy in the emergency department.
After successfully completing this online module, the student will:
- Describe the pathophysiology of ectopic pregnancy
- Discuss common assessment findings of a patient with an ectopic pregnancy
- Identify the laboratory and imaging studies used in the investigation of ectopic pregnancy and interpret the data relating the findings to nursing care
- Identify the complications of ectopic pregnancy and implications for patient care
- Discuss the nursing interventions and medical/surgical treatment for the patient with ectopic pregnancy
- Identify measures to support the patient and family faced with pregnancy loss
Bacidore, V., Warren, N., Chaput, C., & Keough, A. (2009). A collaborative framework for managing pregnancy loss in the emergency department. JOGNN, 38 (6), 730-738.
Houry, D. & Bisan, S. (2010). Acute complications of pregnancy, In Marx, J. (Ed.), Rosen’s Emergency Medicine Concepts and Clinical Practice Vol 2, 7th ed. (pp.2279-2297). Philadelphia: Elsevier Inc.
Mason, D. (2010). Obstetric Emergencies. In Howard, P. & Steinmann, R. (Eds.), Sheehy’s Emergency Nursing Principles and Practice (pp. 619-629). St. Louis: Mosby Elsevier.
Lok, I.H. & Neugebauer, R. (2007). Psychological morbidity following miscarriage. Best Practice and Research Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology, 21(2), 229-247.
Murray, H., Baakdah, H., Bardell, T., & Tulandi, T. (2005). Diagnosis and treatment of ectopic pregnancy. Canadian Medical Association Journal, 173(8), pp. 905-911.
Sepilian, V. & Wood, E. (2010). Ectopic pregnancy. eMedicine. Retrieved May 7, 2010, from http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/258768-print
Retrieved August 2nd, 2018: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2041923ectopic
Retrieved August 13th, 2018: Link to website.