This topic addresses the primary headache disorder of migraine as it presents in the Emergency Department (ED).
After successfully completing this module the Emergency Care Nurse should be able to:
- Define migraine and medication overuse headache (MOH)
- Understand the pathophysiology of a migraine
- Identify and discuss the diagnosis and classification of migraine
- Describe the nursing care and management of a patient with a migraine
- Identify the pharmacologic interventions for the management of migraine
- Discuss prophaylactic management strategies for the migraine patient