HEPATIC FAILURE OVERVIEW
In this module you will learn about the structure and functions of the liver and the assessment and diagnosis of diseases and conditions that can lead to hepatic failure. You will also study the various treatments available for liver diseases and the implications for you as a critical care nurse.
After successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Briefly discuss the structure and the function of the liver
- Discuss the differences between chronic and acute liver disease
- Describe the signs and symptoms of the disease
- Discuss complications of liver diseases
- Assess patients with liver disease
- Discuss treatment and pharmacological interventions
American Liver Foundation. Retrieved August 15, 2018, from http://www.liverfoundation.org/
Canadian Liver Foundation. (n.d.) Retrieved August 15, 2018, from https://www.liver.ca/patients-caregivers/liver-diseases/
Dolan, J.T. (1991). Critical Care Nursing. Clinical Management through the Nursing Process. Phyladelphia: F.A. Davis Company.
Hazinski, Mary Fran. (2013). Nursing Care of the Critically Ill Child. 3rd Ed. St. Louis, MO: Mosby
Tavill, Anthony, S. MD (2004). Wilson's Disease. The Cleveland Clinic, electronic version.
Urden, L., Stacy, K., Lough, M., (2014). Thelan’s Critical Care Nursing: Diagnosis and management. 7th ed. Boston: Mosby.